Welcome to the Signspotting official “Frequently Asked Questions”! If your question is not answered below, please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your question!
- DO I NEED TO BE THE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE PHOTO IN ORDER TO SUBMIT IT?
- HOW MANY PHOTOS CAN I SUBMIT?
- I TOOK A DIGITAL PHOTO, BUT IT’S VERY LOW RESOLUTION. SHOULD I SEND THAT IN?
- WHAT IF THE PHOTO IS BLURRY. SHOULD I SEND IT IN?
- WHEN DO I FIND OUT IF I’VE WON THE GRAND PRIZE?
- DO I WIN ANYTHING IF MY SIGN APPEARS ON SIGNSPOTTING.COM OR IS THE HIGHEST RATED SIGN IN A CATEGORY?
- HOW DO I FIGURE OUT WHAT THE RESOLUTION AND FILE SIZE ARE?
- HOW DO I SCAN THE PHOTO IN THE CORRECT RESOLUTION?
- ARE THERE ANY GOOD PHOTO TIPS THAT MIGHT HELP ME WIN?
- HAS ANYONE SENT IN MY SIGN PHOTO BEFORE?
- I HAVE A HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTO, BUT I’D RATHER PRINT IT OUT AND SEND IT BY SNAIL MAIL. CAN I DO THAT?
- IF I SUBMITTED A PRINT PHOTO BY SNAIL MAIL WHILE THAT WAS STILL ALLOWED, DO I GET MY PHOTO BACK?
- WHERE ARE THE SIGNS PUBLISHED?
- CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THE RTW TICKET?
- WHEN DO I FIND OUT IF I’VE WON? (RTW Ticket)
DO I NEED TO BE THE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE PHOTO IN ORDER TO SUBMIT IT?
HOW MANY PHOTOS CAN I SUBMIT?
Not more than 10. For online submissions, you need to complete the registration form for each photo. For snail mail submissions, you need one paper form for each sign you submit. If you’re submitting photos of the same sign from different angles by snail mail, you can submit those together with one contract.
I TOOK A DIGITAL PHOTO, BUT IT’S VERY LOW RESOLUTION. SHOULD I SEND THAT IN?
WHAT IF THE PHOTO IS BLURRY. SHOULD I SEND IT IN?
WHEN DO I FIND OUT IF I’VE WON THE GRAND PRIZE?
DO I WIN ANYTHING IF MY SIGN APPEARS ON SIGNSPOTTING.COM OR IS THE HIGHEST RATED SIGN IN A CATEGORY?
Sorry, no. There used to be a weekly $50 (and if you submitted your sign before August 12, 2010, you still get $50 according to the previous contract if the image is published outside of www.signspotting.com). Otherwise, there’s just the yearly grand prize.
HOW DO I FIGURE OUT WHAT THE RESOLUTION AND FILE SIZE ARE?
Easy to do. Without opening the imaging, “right click” on it and select “properties.” That will tell you the size. You want it to be at least 1MB (preferably 2MB or 3 MB), which may be written as 1000KB. If it’s not that size (and it was scanned from a print), you should rescan it at a higher resolution.
HOW DO I SCAN THE PHOTO IN THE CORRECT RESOLUTION?
Scanners and their accompanying software all work a bit differently. But on all versions, you should be able to set the resolution. Look for a button that says something like “image control” or “Dimensions” or “Resolution.” Then set the image resolution to “300 dpi” and make the width of the image ABOUT 5 inches. That should make the scanned image the right size. When you click save, make sure you save the image in JPG format, which you should be able to select from a list just below where you pick a name for the image.
ARE THERE ANY GOOD PHOTO TIPS THAT MIGHT HELP ME WIN?
- If you see a great sign, take a few photos from different angles and make sure one is a close up. And feel free to send in a couple.
- Take at least one photo w/o the flash. Often there’s a blinding reflection that can ruin a picture.
- Resist posing next to the sign. But if you have already, please send in your photo anyway.
- Use color film.
- If you’re using a digital camera, make sure you’ve got it set on the highest resolution.
- If you’re scanning your photo, make sure you get the correct resolution and file size.
HAS ANYONE SENT IN MY SIGN PHOTO BEFORE?
Possibly. We occasionally receive more than one photo of the same funny sign. Searching for it on the website (by location) may be a good starting point, but it’s no guarantee. Looking through the Signspotting books is also a good idea. If we like it, we will typically use the one we got first. However, if a better photo of the same sign arrives in the mail before we’ve published the one we received first, we reserve the right to choose the highest quality photo.
I HAVE A HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTO, BUT I’D RATHER PRINT IT OUT AND SEND IT BY SNAIL MAIL. CAN I DO THAT?
IF I SUBMITTED A PRINT PHOTO BY SNAIL MAIL WHILE THAT WAS STILL ALLOWED, DO I GET MY PHOTO BACK?
WHERE ARE THE SIGNS PUBLISHED?
They have appeared weekly in several newspapers, including: San Francisco Chronicle, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, St Paul Pioneer Press, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Charlotte Observer. They have also appeared in: The Times, The Daily Telegraph, The Sun, The Daily Mail, CNN Online, The Early Show, The Chicago Tribune, Boston Herald, Detroit Free Press, Dallas Morning News, Kansas City Star, Miami Herald, San Diego Union Tribune, Houston Chronicle, Arizona Republic, Toronto Star, St Petersburg Times, Denver Post and others.
CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THE RTW TICKET?
We’ve had this as a grand prize for several years and hope it will continue. Currently, the grand prize winner gets a Round-The-World ticket on the Star Alliance. That’ll get you around the planet in economy class, with 700 airports and 15 airlines to choose from. You get 29,000 miles. You can make as few as 3 stops and as many as 15 (within the permitted mileage) during your trip. You can change the dates of most of your flights at any time, except your first international or intercontinental journey. For a small fee, you can change destinations while en route as well. The ticket goes to the photographer of the winning photo. It is not redeemable or transferable and must be used within a year of winning it.
WHEN DO I FIND OUT IF I’VE WON?
You find out in early June when notified by email.